'THE JUDGE' CASTING EXTRAS MAY 18TH IN THE BOSTON AREA...SEE INFO BELOW!Get this Widget

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Biggest Oscar slight...

Vincent D'Onofrio in 'Full Metal Jacket'. He sent a reel of himself to Stanley Kubrick all the way to England. They had never met face-to-face. His monologue on his reel sold Stanley Kubrick in deciding to include him in the film. He spent over a year in England and gained a world record 70 pounds. He injured his knee while filming the military training scenes and required surgery. The movie would not have been memorable had it not been for the 'first half' in which Vincent's remarkable portrayal of the character of 'Private Pyle' was its highlight. Not a 'one trick pony', he went on to do over 50 films to this date. Nicknamed 'The Human Chameleon' and an 'Actor's Actor'...what does it take to get that golden statue? His only 'sin' is that he refuses to be 'Hollywood' and play the game. Shouldn't it be about the films and the acting? In this case, Vincent D'Onofrio should have won for Best Supporting Actor, period. I'd throw in 'The Whole Wide World' too.




8 comments:

judith said...

Good to see you back.

Debra said...

IMO, the Oscars are mostly about the members of the Academy stroking their own egos. Just like the People's Choice Awards are more about celebrity, not quality.

Rarely do these awards shows actually reward the best work.

(I was about to go into a rant, but I'm trying to stay in a good mood today. Count yourselves lucky! ;oD)

Rose said...

Debra years ago there was a documentary about the Oscars, can't even remember what channel, ever since I watched that, I was done with the Oscars. Watch a little here and there when they are on, but that is it. The Independent spirit awards I much rather follow. I could go on a rant also, but since I've been ranting all morning about politics, I won't either lol

Nantz said...

Thank you, Judith, I appreciate that. I hear ya, Debra, that was a dog and pony show last night. I guess the only thing people are interested in is Angelina's leg which she made sure we saw a million times over.

Ruby said...

Totally agree with all of you! I like Streep, but Viola Davis should have won last night...period!

vikeau said...

It took me many a year to warm up to Meryl Streep but these days I just might be one of her biggest fans. I didn't see "The Help" I'm torn when movies like the "Help" are made but movies like the "Red Wings" can't get financing. It's the sutpidity and short sightedness of the Hollywood power brokers that measure quality in box office bucks. That being said I watched the Oscars and actually for the first time in years enjoy the show.

JoJo said...

He definitely shoulda won...and in fact it would be nice to see him get a Lifetime Achievement Award someday.

I was pretty bored w/ the Oscars, as usual and ended up watching The Terminator instead. The Help is one of my fave movies and I was bummed that Viola Davis didn't win.

Nantz said...

It was a difficult category because the talent was definitely there. I thought Billy Crystal did a good job and the show was watchable. However, Angelina Jolie and her dress could have stayed home for all I care.